Manhattan Solstice or Manhattanhenge

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun May 28 22:03:14 UTC 2006

I don't know how many of you live in Manhattan or if Grant Barrett is
interested in this term. FWIW, it's at 6:10 p.m. today.
_http://www.barrypopik.com/article/1569/manhattan-solstice-manhattanhenge-or-s
ensational-sunset_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/article/1569/manhattan-solstice-manhattanhenge-or-sensational-sunset)

Manhattan Solstice (Manhattanhenge or Sensational Sunset)
The “Manhattan Solstice” is when the sun is in perfect alignment with
Manhattan’s “grid” street pattern. You can stand on any street that runs
perfectly east-west and see a magnificent  sunset!
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/21/nyregion/thecity/21fyi.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
F.  Y. I.
Stonehenge in the City
By MICHAEL POLLAK
Q. I’ve heard  about a “Manhattan solstice,” when the sun supposedly lines
up along the  streets. Is it for real? When does it happen?
A. Here’s the lowdown on the sundown, courtesy of Neil deGrasse Tyson,
director of the Hayden Planetarium at the American Museum of Natural History.  Next
Sunday and on July 13, the sun will fully illuminate every Manhattan cross
street (not the curved or angled ones) on the street grid during the last 15
minutes of daylight, and it will set on each street’s center line. The sight is
 breathtaking.
This is a special photo opportunity, with parts of Manhattan’s canyons
getting illumination they normally don’t get.
If the Manhattan street grid ran north-south and east-west, the alignment
days would be the spring and fall equinoxes, the two days when the sun rises due
 east and sets due west. But the Manhattan grid is angled 30 degrees east
from  geographic north, shifting the days.
There are two corresponding mornings of sunrise right on the center lines of
the Manhattan grid, Dr. Tyson wrote in an e-mail message: Dec. 5, 2006, and
Jan.  8,  2007.
http://seemachine.blogspot.com/2006/05/perfect-sunset.html
Saturday,  May 27, 2006
The Perfect Sunset
NPR’s calling it the “Sensational Sunset.” I’m calling it “Sunday Study
Break” (even though for us west coasters, it just means watching it on TV).
Reason #1,049,293 why I’m dying to be in NYC right now?
Manhattan Solstice. And it purports to be one of the most magnificent,
scintillating, eye-catching displays of one of my favorite things in the world:
sunshine! Sound cheesy? I know. But come on. This is almost as good as if a
giant cheese-machine were soon to be descending on earth. Can you imagine? The
CheeseMachine. OMG. My limited but potent creative juices are flowing, watch
out  world.
On May 28, at 8:10 PM (EST), the Sun’s rays will fall exactly parallel to the
 Manhattan skyline. Provided you are somewhere that has a clear, unobstructed
 view of the New Jersey horizon, you’ll be able to see the sun cross every
cross-street in Manhattan. How beautiful! Clearly these words do the coming
experience it no justice. I apologize. Studying for the bar is soaking up every
ounce of creativity left in my brain-which is close to naught-after  having
endured law school. So please. Check it out if you can. And if you can’t  make
Sunday, just stop for a minute on any other day and . . . while smelling  the
roses . . . appreciate that this tiny 13-mile long city is operating to
artistically interpret light from a fireball that is more than 93 million miles
away.
http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2004/05/28/manhattanhenge_today.php
May  28, 2004
Manhattanhenge Today
Besides it being the start of the summer, today is very special: The sun will
 set in the centerline of every NYC street (photobloggers, get ready!).
American  Museum of Natural History astrophysicist Neil DeGrasse Tyson desrcribes
this  phenomenon beautifully in the Natural History Magazine, explaining that
like  Stonehenge where the sun sets in alignment with stones during the summer
solstice, Manhattan has two “special” days where the sun sets between
buildings  – May 28 and July 12:
On these days, the Sun fully illuminates every single cross street during
the last fifteen minutes of daylight and sets exactly on the street’s
centerline. Upon studying American culture and what is important to it, future
anthropologists might take the Manhattan alignments to be cosmic signs of  Memorial
Day and, of course, baseball’s All-Star break.
If the Manhattan grid matched the geographic north-south line, then our
special days would be the equinoxes, the two days on the calendar when the Sun
rises due east and sets due west. But Manhattan is rotated 30 degrees east from
geographic north, shifting the special days elsewhere in the calendar.
* * *