"Post-Panamax" ships

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun May 28 21:32:04 UTC 2006

I noticed some large cruise ships at some of the places I was staying in
Greece and Turkey...They've got to come up with a better name than
"post-Panamax," though.
_http://www.nypost.com/travel/63842.htm_
(http://www.nypost.com/travel/63842.htm)

SEA MONSTERS

WITH CRUISE LINES VYING TO LAUNCH EVER-LARGER VESSELS, CHRIS BUNTING
ASKS:WHAT'S NEXT?

By CHRIS BUNTING

May 16, 2006 -- FREUD would have a field day with the cruise  industry's
escalating size war.
First came Cunard's Queen Mary 2, which made its maiden voyage back in 2004.
Coming in at a hefty 151,000 gross tons, it gained the distinction of being
the  largest passenger ship ever.
This month it loses the heavyweight belt to Royal _Caribbean's_
(http://www.nypost.com/travel/63842.htm#)   gargantuan Freedom of the Seas, which tips the
scales at 160,000 gross tons.
Not to be outdone, lines such as Costa, Celebrity and Carnival are entering
this battle of the bulge, each releasing their respective Biggest. Ships.
Ever.  over the next few years.
To accommodate these new plus-size models, the country of Panama is actually
doubling the capacity of its famed Canal, in a project scheduled to be
completed  by 2014. (There's even an industry term for these new behemoths -
post-Panamax).