[ADS-L] Race/racism a nd the late Prof. Frederic G. Cassidy

Thu Nov 2 01:45:03 UTC 2006

The story recounted below sounds familiar enough that I'm wondering if I was
actually in the audience for the panel in question. At any rate, somewhere
along the way I got the impression that Fred had ancestors of both races. My
thought was that it could well have been true, though he was not particularly dark
skinned. I believed he was from Jamaica, and he certainly did not look like a
stereotypical Jamaican, but that didn't rule out an ancestry more varied and
interesting than mine. At any rate, I'm quite sure that he knew more about
Caribbean English that anyone else in that audience, white or black, and it is of
course knowledge that counts, not skin color or the condition of servitude of
one's ancestors.

I knew Fred quite well and liked him and admired him. We were professional
friends, but he was the generation of my father and I didn't know him well
enough to ask a lot of personal questions, and in any case the particular several
origins of his ancestors did not seem important to me one way or another. His
credentials were his mind and great learning, and he was a man of boundless
energy well into his 80s and 90s. He was a warm and outgoing man, and as far as I
know he had few personal enemies. He was highly respected by the members of
the Society for Caribbean Linguistics, of whom there were and still are many
blacks as well as whites.

The last time I saw him (if memory serves me correctly) was in Madison at a
meeting of DSNA. As I recall, a few months before he had been struck by an
automobile while crossing the street and so banged up that the doctors said he
would not live. He was in his 90s then, I think. At the meeting music following
the picnic, however, he was dancing. He definitely liked the ladies. What a
life!