Fwd: Spelling or antecedent problem?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 1 22:30:39 UTC 2006

Fritz, you may wish to consider John's suggestion, too.

-Wilson

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John M. Spartz <jspartz at purdue.edu>
Date: Nov 1, 2006 3:59 PM
Subject: Spelling or antecedent problem?
To: Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com>

Wilson,

Do you think it might be that it isn't a spelling problem, but rather an
antecedent one, with "they" referring to the "pants" or "trousers" that follow
in the sentence?

Regardless, I do agree with your implication that an "English major" should
write better when sending to a list such as ADS.

Best,
John
John M. Spartz
jspartz at purdue.edu
English Linguistics & ESL
Purdue University

--
Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.

--Sam Clemens