pre-velar /ae/ raising (was: slang/slant)

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Thu Nov 2 19:58:16 UTC 2006

I don't know if this helps, but I noticed several features that struck
me when I lived in the Cities.
First, 'bag' sounded like 'beg' when a MNsotan said it.  The kids
always pledged allegiance to the 'flague.'
More interestingly was the pronunciation of my wife's name (and similar
words): Holly.  She always complained that MNsotans called her 'Hally.'
Not exactly accurate, but pretty close.  The /a/ was very front, almost
/ae/.  Of course, it was also VERY nasal.  Must have something to do
with the long cold MN winters :)  This feature seemed to span most age
groups.
Fritz J

>>> gordonmj at MISSOURI.EDU 11/2/2006 11:01 AM >>>
Joe:
1. Welcome back to ADS-L. In case you were wondering, not everyone is
totally on board with the idea that all dialect field work can be done
at
m-w.com.

2. There are lots of interesting points in your post. I just wanted to
question your suggestion that the Northern Cities Shift is not found
in
Minnesota. I remember hearing it some ten years ago when I passed
through
"the cities." More importantly, Labov et al.'s Atlas of North American
English documents several NCS features in MN and even into North
Dakota.

-Matt Gordon