pre-velar /ae/ raising (was: slang/slant)

Thu Nov 2 20:36:17 UTC 2006

Joe,
That's interesting.  But don't you get the /a/-fronting part of NCS
(affecting the COT class) out in your area, even where you don't get
many of the other changes?  That's what makes me think there are
multiple foci of the different components of NCS, and the process
looks unified only in retrospect, when it's completed or at least
well on the way.  Incidentally, wearing my historical linguist hat, I
have postulated the same thing about the English Great Vowel Shift--
it is really two (if not more) processes, one of which, in addition,
is multifocal, that got intertwined over then't course of the change,
and our Great Vowel Shift scenario really describes only the end
product.  Roger Lass and others have said similar things too.

Incidentally, the West Michigan pattern of back/bag/bang is :

back-- becomes [eae] or the like, undergoing NCS.  One of the most
salient environments too.

bag--  same deal as back.

bang-- becomes [e]  I actually don't hear very much upgliding
diphthongization, and the vowel is short.  It can be somewhat
centralized, and approaches [I] for some speakers.

egg and vague rhyme under [eI] for a lot of speakers here, but bag
isn't beg.

Paul Johnston