Brownies(1895);Pie a la mode(1894);Strawberry Shortcake(1857);Alaska Bake (1892)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Nov 7 18:43:26 UTC 2006

More from 19th Century U.S. Newspapers. (I noticed we'd found earlier for
"jelly bean." These are the earliest in this databse.)
9 March 1895, <i>The News and Observer</i> (Raleigh, NC?), pg.  8, col. 2 ad:
DO try some of our fine Marshmellow Drops at 20 cents per pound. Peaches  and
Cream, something new and fine in Candy, 20 cents per pound. You will be
delighted with it.
Chocolate Brownies and Snow Drops
J. D. RIGGAN,
Academy of Music Building,
Raleigh, N.C.
14 October 1888, <i>Morning Oregonian</i>, pg. 7, col. 4:
The Alisky Candy Manufacturing Company gives a $20 gold piece to the person
who guesses nearest to the number of jelly beans contained in a three-gallon
jar  exhibited at their booth.
1 July 1857, <i>Daily Cleveland Herald</i>, pg. 1, col.  2:
Strawberry Shortcake is a luxury. Make a large, thick shortcake, split it
twice through, and spread with butter and a layer of fresh strawberries and
sugar, put the parts together again, and serve hot.
28 April 1841, <i>New-York Spectator</i>, pg. 3, col. 3:
Here we lumber up the side walks as much as we please, with tons of coal,
loads of wood, empty barrels, dilapidated carts, orange stands, root-beer carts,
 piles of bricks, old furniture,...
30 December 1892, Milwaukee <i>Sentinel</i>, pg. 8, col.  3:
<i>Alaska Bake.</i>
Cover thickly a two-quart brick mold of ice cream with a meringue made from
the whites of six eggs and six tablespoonfuls of powdered sugar. Stand the
dish  on a board and place it in a very quick oven to brown. The meringue acts as
a  non-conductor, and prevents the heat from melting the ice cream. It may
also be  browned with a salamander or a heated fire-shovel.
A dainty dish for one's guests.
26 April 1893, St. Paul <i>Daily News</i>, pg. 3, col. 5:
_CULINARY SNAP._
_Chicagoans Indignant at Probable_
_High Prices for World's_
_Fair Pie._
(...)
Cold meats were raised from 30 to 35 cents, sandwiches (chicken) from 15 to
20, and salads (chicken) from 40 to 50 cents, and apple pie, a la mode, was
raised 20 cents--10 cents for apple pie and ten cents for a la mode.
21 May 1892, Bangor <i>Daily Whig & Courier</i>, pg. 3,  col. 7:
A new game called the basket ball game will be introduced by Director
Meylan. It is something similar to foot ball, with the roughness eliminated, and  it
will doubtless become a popular sport and exercise.
(Union Street YMCA. OED has Jan. 1892 --  ed.)