easy street (1889)

Tue Nov 7 18:59:46 UTC 2006

"Easy street" (OED2 1901, MWCD11 1900, HDAS 1897) shows up in lots of
baseball articles starting in July 1889...

-----
1889 _Boston Daily Globe_ 9 July 4/7 We ought to crawl away from the
Spiders now. We are in Easy street at home, and they are just starting
a long trip.
[HNP Doc ID 563899172]
-----
1889 _Newark (Ohio) Daily Advocate_ 13 July 4/3 In the fifth Newark
placed herself on "Easy" street by making three more runs.
-----
1889 _Washington Post_ 21 July 3/1 Loftus' men proceeded to get on
Easy street in theseventh inning by making another run on McAleer's
single to right.
[HNP Doc ID 283315072]
-----

--Ben Zimmer