True Blue

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Nov 13 22:54:29 UTC 2006

Assuming that "ram-chicken" simply means "rooster," it antedates the modern use of "chicken" in OED (1812) by about two generations.

  JL

George Thompson <george.thompson at NYU.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: George Thompson
Subject: Re: True Blue

"Face" is no doubt a shortening of "brazen-face" -- incapable of
blushing -- a old image.

I notice in this screed the sentence "there is not a single Resident
in this City---Blush, if it be possible, ye Whigs of New-York, ye
Centinels of Philadelphia, ye Founts of Connecticut, and ye Ram-
Chickens of Boston---who has the Hardiness even to Insinuate"

I suppose that Ram-Chicken, which I don't find in OED, is a euphemism
for "cock"? -- a term that my ancestors weren't brazen-faced enough
to write or say.
The OED shows "rooster" for "cock" in 1772. It has "he-bird" from
1822: J. FLINT Lett. fr. Amer. 264 Rooster, or he-bird. Cock, the
male of the hen.
It doesn't have "he-biddy", but I do, from 1824:
Cock-fighting. – Not long ago I incidentally noticed a grand
Cock-fight, and set-to, over at Hoboken, and some gallant fighting on
Turkey carpets in certain houses of this city. All the cock-fighters
in town got at me for meddling with their amusements, they bristled up
their feathers; got on their gaffs, and made a tremendous effort to
crow me off the field, if I did not leave them and their He-biddies
alone. Upon reflection, I thought I had better let them alone,
because I found men of all parties interested in these sports, and you
cannot mend manners and politics at the same time. ***
National Advocate, April 9, 1824, p. 2, col. 4

Cock fighting, Police, &c. -- At an early hour, on a cold
morning last week, say about 2 o'clock, the Watchmen up Broadway were
awakened by the shrill cry of sundry cocks; alarmed at the idea of an
early dawn stealing upon them, they sprung up, rubbed their eyes, and
seized two tall lank country men, dressed in linsey-woolsey trowsers;
they had each in hand a large sack containing cocks, or he-biddies,
which ever and anon pierced the "night's dull ear," with their shrill
cries. ***
N Y National Advocate, December 29, 1824, p. 2, cols. 2 3

Mordecai Noah was editing the National Advocate in April, 1824; he got
the boot in the summer of that year, and started a new newspaper,
which he called the N Y National Advocate. the two papers competed
for about 18 months, much to the confusion of recent historians, at
least.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.