True Blue --now "CHICKEN"

Tue Nov 21 16:34:52 UTC 2006

 Alison Murie <sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM> wrote:

> Considering how widespread commerce in fowl of all
> sorts is (as evidenced
> by the world-wide alarm about bird flu recently)
> it's no wonder that there
> is confusion among the terms used to designate
> various classes...

It's taken me a while to get around to this reply.

The Eurodicautom translation dictionary at:

http://ec.europa.eu/eurodicautom

tries to provide the type of uniformity to commerce
that Alison alludes to.  Those more familiar with
European languages might be able to mine some answers
from this site.  It appears that the creators of this
translation service have resolved at least some of the
questions that have been posed in this discussion on
what exactly is a "chicken".

Another source I've found to be reliable in food
matters is the food dictionary at:
http://www.epicurious.com/cooking/how_to/food_dictionary/

"...The broiler-fryer can weigh up to 3 1/2 pounds and
is usually around 2 1/2 months old. ... roasters ...
usually range between 2 1/2 and 5 pounds and can be up
to 8 months old. Stewing chickens (also called hens,
boiling fowl and just plain fowl ) usually range in
age from 10 to 18 months and can weigh from 3 to 6
pounds. ... A capon is a rooster that is castrated
when quite young (usually before 8 weeks) ... and
brought to market before it's 10 months old. ... Squab
Chicken (poussin in French), different from the true
SQUAB, is a very small, 4- to 6-week-old chicken that
weighs no more than 1 1/2 pounds...."

                               |or slowly and cautiously.

Sponsored Link

Rates near 39yr lows. $510,000 Loan for $1698/mo.
Calcuate new payment. www.LowerMyBills.com/lre