William Safire on "Quotationeer Shapiro"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Nov 26 02:29:42 UTC 2006

_http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/26/magazine/26wwln_safire.html_
(http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/26/magazine/26wwln_safire.html)

Quotationeer Shapiro
On the analogy of “Dictionary Johnson,” we call Fred R. Shapiro, editor of
the just-published Yale Book of Quotations (well  worth the $50 price), “
Quotationeer Shapiro.” Like that harmless drudge, as Sam  defined “lexicographer,”
Shapiro does original research, earning his 1,067-page  volume a place on the
quotation shelf next to Bartlett’s and Oxford’s.
Two hundred famous “film lines” are deliciously collected: “Follow the
money,” never said in real life by Mark Felt but spoken by “Deep Throat” in  “
All the President’s Men” in the creation of the screenwriter William Goldman. “
Round  up the usual suspects” is from “Casablanca,” by Julius J. Epstein,
Philip G. Epstein  and Howard Koch. “Go on, Heathcliff, run away. Bring me back
the world!”  from Ben Hecht’s screenplay for “Wuthering  Heights.” And the
dying word “Rosebud” from “Citizen Kane,” by Herman Mankiewicz and  Orson
Welles.
Here’s one for the next edition, submitted by Esther Lafair of Philadelphia,
in belated  answer to my query this spring, not originating in a John Wayne
film after all. In his  1939 Depression-era novel “The  Grapes of Wrath,” John
Steinbeck has his character Pa Joad say to  Uncle John a gritty line that the
actor Wayne later made part of American  folklore: “A fella got to do what he
got to do.”