antedating of(hamburger) Bun-1902

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Sun Nov 26 15:37:50 UTC 2006

I keep thinking that Barry found this one(or I did), but can't find it in the archive or on Barry's website.

[Many food sites credit the founder of the White Castle hamburger chain, Walter Anderson, with inventing the bun in the teens.]

Using NewspaperArchive,  _The Davenport(IA) Republican_   28 June 1902, pg. 7, col. 2  (An article about the Elks Carnival)

    "One Hamburger sandwich man disposed of 400 buns to hungry pedestrians Thursday, and yet he remarked that business was very dull."

This would certainly knock out any thought that the Hamburger-on-a-bun originated at the 1904 World's Fair.

Sam Clements