"Fart in a mitten"

Troy foxfoot at YAHOO.COM
Fri Oct 6 14:12:13 UTC 2006

Here's a saying I had previously only encountered
within my family, particularly my grandparents who
grew up in Southern Indiana.

The usage I am familiar with always conveyed
restlessness, frenetic energy.  "You are bouncing
around like a far in a mitten".

Google News, however, reveals one citation where it is
being used to convey a lack of intelligence through
inability to speak. "she's dumb as a fart in a mitten"

Is anyone else familiar with this phrase?

Cheers!
~Troy

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=%22fart+in+a+mitten%22

http://pop.wizbangblog.com/2006/09/21/paris-is-like-not-so-smart.php