Hearts and minds will follow

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Oct 7 00:05:05 UTC 2006

The quotation from Krepenivich is correct, but his note unfortunately fails to show just when the alleged conversation took place. The story was narrated to him by Gen. Robert Williams during an interview on March 29, 1978. The historical context suggests that if Williams's recollection was accurate, the comments were made no later than 1965 and possibly as early as 1961 or '62.

  JL

Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Charles Doyle
Subject: Re: Hearts and minds will follow

The phrase "hearts and minds" can be discovered a little earlier in EEBO with other spellings ("hart," "harte," "mindes," etc.); the earliest:

1560: "Not only our hearts and mindes, but also our bodies and flesh be purified." (Roger Hutchinson, A Faithful Declaration of Christes Holy Supper)

As for "win (the/their) hearts and minds":

1890: "Should the Church which claims to be Apostolic ever thus win 'the hearts and minds' of the bulk of the Christian community . . . ." (J. F. Garrison, Church Review)

1949: "There are many features in this handsome . . . volume to win the heart and mind of every child." (Christian Science Monitor, ad for a book of Bible stories)

1949: "The battle to win the hearts and minds of western Europe's ordinary workingman constitutes one of the most crucial elements of the world struggle against communism." (Christian Science Monitor)

--Charlie