Popo (police)

Jonathon Green slang at ABECEDARY.NET
Sun Oct 15 15:32:48 UTC 2006

It may be that I am reaching too hard, but I have a ref. in Todd R.
Houser _Central Slang_  - A Police Officer's Training Guide (1985):
Mister Bobo. The police.

Bobo, of course, is generic for 'clown', and is of itself sufficiently
derogatory, but it may be that Hauser, or his informant, mistranscribed
or misheard the term that  was encountered on the street. The police
department is that of Long Beach, CA. The book focusses very much on
gang slang, and indeed offers a number of first uses, e.g. of 'O.G.'

JG