"Kype"

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Mon Oct 16 14:43:50 UTC 2006

Kype was in current use and was one of the most common words =steal when
I was growing up in ORegon in the 70s.
Fritz J

wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM 10/14/2006 8:12 AM >>>
HDAS II has a number of exx. from 1932-34 to 1996. Most are not
military.  Ety. unkn.

  The only person I've actually heard use the word was a fellow
graduate student who was from Oshkosh, Wis.  That was back in the mid
'70s.

  JL

Jim Parish <jparish at SIUE.EDU> wrote:
  ---------------------- Information from the mail header
-----------------------
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Jim Parish
Subject: "Kype"

Does anyone have any data on the geographical, social, or temporal
distribution of the word "kype", meaning to steal? I recall hearing it
in
my Army-brat youth - that would be in the mid-'60s or so - but I've
only
encountered it a couple of times since, once in the writings of sf/f
writer
Glen Cook (who puts it in the mouth of an ex-Marine), but also once in
a livejournal entry by a civilian woman (who did not respond to my
question as to where she picked it up).

It seems likely to me that it's a bit of military slang, but I'd be
interested
in confirmation or refutation.

Jim Parish

Get your own web address for just $1.99/1st yr. We'll help. Yahoo!
Small Business.