bowdlerize: M-W's Word of the Day---Desdemona starts up a jazz band

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Tue Oct 17 15:45:34 UTC 2006

Merriam-Webster puts out Word of the Day--an interesting undertaking and free for the asking.Two days ago the word was "bowdlerize," which I shared with my campus' Shakespearian scholar,  W. Nicholas Knight.
He was of course familiar with the term and commented:

The famous example was that he changed in Othello 'She hath played the strumpet in our bed' to 'She hath played the "trumpet" in our bed.'      Which is worse?

Gerald Cohen

________________________________

From: word at m-w.com [mailto:word at m-w.com]
Sent: Sun 10/15/2006 3:04 AM
To: Cohen, Gerald Leonard
Subject: bowdlerize: M-W's Word of the Day

The Word of the Day for October 15 is:

bowdlerize \BOUD-ler-ize\   verb
     1 : to expurgate by omitting or modifying parts considered vulgar
   *2 : to modify by abridging, simplifying, or distorting in style or content

Example sentence:
     The new regime bowdlerized history books, deleting all mention of the leaders of the resistance.

Did you know?
     Few editors have achieved the notoriety of Thomas Bowdler. Bowdler was trained as a physician, but when illness prevented him from practicing medicine, he turned to warning Europeans about unsanitary conditions at French watering places. He then carried his quest for purification to literature, and in 1818 he published his _Family Shakspeare_ [sic], a work in which he promised that "those words and expressions are omitted which cannot with propriety be read aloud in a family." The sanitized volume was popular with the public of the day, but literary critics denounced his modifications of the words of the Bard. Bowdler applied his literary eraser broadly, and within 11 years of his death in 1825, the word "bowdlerize" was being used to refer to expurgating books or other texts.

*Indicates the sense illustrated in the example sentence.

<snip>
To unsubscribe, change your e-mail address or to subscribe to the html
version of Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day, featuring audio
pronunciations, please visit:

http://www.startsampling.com/sm/wod/changeofaddress.iphtml

(c) 2006 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

Merriam-Webster, Inc.
47 Federal Street
P.O. Box 281
Springfield, MA 01102