Slang Jang (1901)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Oct 19 01:07:29 UTC 2006

I'll probably check the UT-Austin morgues for the NY Herald Tribune and the
NY Journal-American (yes, both here!) in a few weeks. Any requests?
"SLANG JANG" FYI: Commerce, Honey Grove, and Dallas are close  together.
_http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/localnews/columnists/sblow/sto
ries/DN-blow_06met.ART.State.Edition2.3e035b5.html_
(http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/localnews/columnists/sblow/stories/DN-blow_06met.ART.Sta
te.Edition2.3e035b5.html)

Steve Blow:
PB and  pickles? I'll take your word for it
06:42 AM CDT on Wednesday,  September 6, 2006
(...)

Of all the weird dishes I heard about, the topper may have come from Angie
Rhodes of Malakoff. "My dad grew up in a small town in northeast Texas in the
'30s," she wrote.
"During warm months, families in the community would come together on
Saturday nights to visit and play dominos. Each would bring an ingredient that
would be mixed in a giant washtub for dinner. It was a sort of cold stew called
'slang-jang.' The ingredients were canned salmon, oysters, green onions, dill
pickles, Vienna sausages and canned tomatoes."
Angie and her sisters carry on the slang-jang tradition at times – "when our
spouses are out of town."
_http://www2.1starnet.com/hallv/Honey%20Grove%20Web%20Pages/Slang_Jang.htm_
(http://www2.1starnet.com/hallv/Honey%20Grove%20Web%20Pages/Slang_Jang.htm)

Honey Grove, Texas
Slang Jang

By Mary Anne Thurman
Slang Jang is a dish peculiar to Honey  Grove.  The legend says that a group
of men in a grocery store concocted it  for lunch one day.  Its popularity
grew until there were many people who  had Slang Jang picnics at the City Lake.
As a child, I can remember many  weekends we spent at the lake playing and
then eating the delicious chilled  Slang Jang.  I was a blue ribbon winner in the
Slang Jang Contest during  the Honey Grove Centennial in 1973.
Slang Jang
Mix undrained canned tomatoes with chopped  dill pickles and chopped onion to
taste.  Add a can of oysters,  chopped.  Add Tabasco, salt and pepper to
taste.  Add ice cubes to  chill.  Serve with saltine crackers.
Many people vary this recipe.  Some  add canned salmon or vienna sausage in
place of the oysters, or in addition to  the oysters.

Another recipe is from the Cook Book by  the Westminister Guild of the
Presbyterian Church, Honey Grove, Texas,  1922.
Honey Grove Slang Jang
Mix together two 3-pound cans of tomatoes  and three 2-pound cans of oysters,
1 large onion, 2 large pickles chopped, add  vinegar, salt, red and black
pepper to taste, 1 large lump of ice to chill, just  before serving.  Add crushed
crackers to thicken.
An article that appeared in sportswriter  Tom Lepere's column in the July,
12, 1974, Dallas Times Herald, also told of the  lore surrounding Slang Jang in
Honey  Grove.  It detailed the recipe  of Shirley Ausburn, who along with her
husband, ran the Lake Crockett Lodge at  that time.  Her recipe contained raw
oysters, boiled shrimp and crab  meat.
I want to thank John W. Wilson, of Dallas,  who sent me a copy of the
clipping and the Presbyterian cook book  recipe.
(GOOGLE)
_Amazon.com: Tales from Texas Tables: Books: Carol  Blakely_
(http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Texas-Tables-Carol-Blakely/dp/1932043136)      The Texas Cook
Book, Hopkins County Stew, San  Antonio, Slang Jang, Household Hint, Aunt Ruth's
Practical Cook  Book, First Aid Suggestion ...
www.amazon.com/www.amazon.com/<WBR>Tales-Texas-Tables-Carol-Blakely/dp/1932043
1