Neologisms successfully spread by marketers

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Oct 21 04:09:20 UTC 2006

At 11:54 PM -0400 10/20/06, Michael H Covarrubias wrote:
>James
>
>What qualities would appropriately distinguish neologisms from eponyms?

The latter are necessarily from proper names (personal names, trade
names, etc.), and they're necessarily new.  The former aren't.
"Sandwich" and "sideburns" are eponyms but not neologisms (although
they were once).  "Metrosexual" and "truthiness" are neologisms but
not eponyms.

LH