please put places lived history in signature (was merkins)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 23 19:02:51 UTC 2006

Given that the Welsh word for "police" is "plis," it's probably the
case that this kind of elision is also not unknown in British English.

-Wilson

On 10/22/06, Michael H Covarrubias <mcovarru at purdue.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Michael H Covarrubias <mcovarru at PURDUE.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: please put places lived history in signature (was merkins)
>
> Tom -- are those states listed in order of residence -- and do the numbers
> represent the years spent in each state?  I'll use that model for now. (Note
> that I keep moving back to MI -- If this is the right format I'll gladly include
> it in my signature.)
>
> USA - MI4, OH3, MD3, MI13, ND5, MI3, IN1+
>
> I've never heard 'arrange' pronounced without the first vowel unless it is
> following another vowel.  So the phrase "I'm gonna arrange these" might
> drop/combine the schwa, but "I'll arrange these" would not.
>
> I have heard "police" pronounced with a dropped first vowel -- but it remains
> disyllabic.  Instead of creating an onset cluster, which would devoice the [l]
> and make [i] the nucleus, I've heard the [l] become the nucleus of the first
> syllable leaving [i] for the second.
>
> If I hear correctly would that then create a geminate [l] or somehow allow the
> [l] to serve also as the onset of the [-lis] syllable?
>
> Quoting Tom Zurinskas <truespel at HOTMAIL.COM>:
>
> > >"It is not uncommon in American English to weaken and drop unaccented vowels
> > >from the first syllables of words, whether or not they are preceded by a
> > >consonant, e.g., POLICE > P'LICE, ARRANGE > 'RANGE. etc."
> >

> > I's say those pronunciations are quite uncommon in USA, but possibly not in
> > UK.  You're from UK I gather.
> >
> > I'd like us all to put a line history of places lived like mine below in my
> > signature.  I find many  responses I get are from non-American natives, even
> > though this is "American" Dialect Society.
> >
> > Tom Zurinskas, USA - CT20, TN3, NJ33, FL4+
> > See truespel.com and the 4 truespel books at authorhouse.com.

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>    Michael H. Covarrubias
>    Department of English
>    Purdue University
>
>    215 Heavilon Hall
>    500 Oval Dr
>    W Lafayette, IN 47907
>    Office: 765-494-3721
>
>    mcovarru at purdue.edu
>
>    web.ics.purdue.edu/~mcovarru
>    wishydig.blogspot.com

Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
-----
Whoever has lived long enough to find out what life is knows how deep
a debt of gratitude we owe to Adam, the first great benefactor of our
race. He brought death into the world.

--Sam Clemens