Oxford Round Table--which doesn't sound very "round"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue Oct 24 19:27:17 UTC 2006

The Oxford Round Table letter announces a conference next March, which "will again devote a special session to the topic"--namely, "bilingual education and the teaching of English as a second language."  The conference will take place in Oxford, and the registration fee is just $2940.

The enclosed glossy brochure explains that "the Oxford Round Table was founded in 1989, as a colloquium for small groups of governmental and business leaders to engage in discussions of contemporary public policy that affect [sic] nations and states worldwide."

My suspicion is that "most scholars" of language might not attend, for one reason or another . . . .

--Charlie