Dawgs

Wed Oct 25 21:35:10 UTC 2006

There's a lot of variability here--actually, I think I was thinking
about the "turned capital a" but I have heard "backwards c", "capital
a" and upside-down-backwards "a" as a V1, and anything from
"backwards c" to [U] as a V2.
[OU} as a vowel isn't that common on this side of the pool except in
this class of words, but it's a common enough realization of COAT
words in Ireland and parts of the Midlands of England.  Even
Liverpool--though both [ou] and ["backwards e" + U] are more
typical.  Stoke, maybe, or Dublin.

Paul Johnston