"Livingstone, I presume" (Oct. 27, 1871?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Oct 27 21:53:25 UTC 2006

Was "Doctor Livingstone, I presume" said on October 27, 1871 or on  November
10, 1871, or some other date, or not said at all? Who is pushing  October 27th?
Sorry, but I don't have a copy of that great book, the Yale Book of
Quotations, handy right now.

_http://www.dailygotham.com/_ (http://www.dailygotham.com/)

_On this Day in 1871: "Doctor  Livingstone, I Presume"_
(http://dailygotham.com/blog/mole333/on_this_day_in_1871_doctor_livingstone_i_presume)
Submitted by mole333 on Fri, 2006-10-27 13:24.
_History_ (http://dailygotham.com/categories/history)  | _Race_
(http://dailygotham.com/categories/identity_politics/race)  | _Religion_
(http://dailygotham.com/categories/religion)

On October 27th, 1871, (not on November 10th as is often thought), a
Welsh-turned-American scoundrel made his mark on history, arriving unexpectedly  in
the African town of Ujiji on the shores of Lake Tanganyika and finding the
famous British explorer and missionary, Dr. David Livingstone, impoverished and
depressed and bringing him much needed solace and supplies.
Stanley, who was known to be a liar, claimed that he greeted the far more
famous and older Dr. Livingstone with the now famous line, "Dr. Livingstone, I
presume."
This event was one of the greatest media stunts in history, helping to make
the reputation of the New York Herald newspaper (now still in publication as
the  International