"Livingstone, I presume" (Oct. 27, 1871?)

Jim Parish jparish at SIUE.EDU
Fri Oct 27 22:19:00 UTC 2006

Bapopik at AOL.COM asked:
> Was "Doctor Livingstone, I presume" said on October 27, 1871 or on  November
> 10, 1871, or some other date, or not said at all? Who is pushing  October 27th?

John Bierman's _Dark Safari_ (1990), a biography of Stanley, says
Nov. 10. (He notes that Stanley's journal says Nov. 3, but attributes that
to Stanley's bouts of malaria, which left him confused as to the actual
date.) Thomas Pakenham's _The Scramble for Africa_ merely says
November. (The main focus of that book is from 1876 on.)

Jim Parish