Antedating of "Wetback" (another 1920 cite, in Dallas Morning News)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Oct 27 22:11:16 UTC 2006

Thanks. I don't know how I missed this.
I'm still trying to figure out what databases I have access to. SABR will  no
longer have ProQuest after December 31st. The University of Texas databases
seem to be off-limits to non-UTs, and anyway. the UT libraries surprising
don't  have the Dallas Morning News, the Readex databases on Americana, and
various  ProQuest databases. I had assumed that UT (with its billion-dollar
endowment  from oil money) would have everything.
Texas State University in San Marcos (about ten miles away from my home)  has
the Newsbank full-text database of the Dallas Morning News that UT-Austin
does not. A quick check shows another "wetback" in a story 12-24-1920, "Senate
slow to ban immigrants." I'll go back and check the Dallas Morning News at
another time, so send your requests now. As Bill Mullins has said, the Newsbank
search mechanism could be better.