"I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you" (Top Gun, 1986)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Oct 29 17:02:16 UTC 2006

The line is in TOP GUN (1986). It's also the proposed title of a 2008  movie.
(GOOGLE)
_I'd Tell  You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (2008)_
(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800342/)      I'd Tell You, But Then I'd Have to  Kill You - Cast,
Crew, Reviews, Plot Summary, Comments, Discussion,  Taglines, Trailers, Posters,
Photos, Showtimes, ...
www.imdb.com/title/tt0800342/ - 22k -  _Cached_
(http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:QlhjILOGxq0J:www.imdb.com/title/tt0800342/+"tell+you"+and+"have+to+kill
+you"&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=4&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar  pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.imdb.com/title/tt0800342/)
_http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0092099/_ (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0092099/)
Quotes:
_Charlie_ (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0000534/) : Excuse me,  Lieutenant. Is
there something wrong?
_Maverick_ (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0000129/) : Yes ma'am, the data  on the
MiG is inaccurate.
_Charlie_ (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0000534/) : How's that,  Lieutenant?
_Maverick_ (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0000129/) : Well, I just  happened to
see a MiG 28 do a...
_Goose_ (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0000381/) : We!
_Maverick_ (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0000129/) : Uh, sorry Goose. WE
happened to see a MiG 28 do a 4g negative dive.
_Charlie_ (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0000534/) : Where did you see  this?
_Maverick_ (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0000129/) : Uh,  that's classified.
_Charlie_ (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0000534/) : It's what?
_Maverick_ (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0000129/) : It's classified. I  could
tell you, but then  I'd have to kill  you.
_http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:E7COZUugg0wJ:poll.imdb.com/title/tt009209
9/usercomments%3Fstart%3D80+%22tell+you%22+and+%22have+to+kill+you%22+imdb&hl=
en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=7&ie=UTF-8_
(http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:E7COZUugg0wJ:poll.imdb.com/title/tt0092099/usercomments?start=80+"tell+you"+and+"have+t
o+kill+you"+imdb&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=7&ie=UTF-8)

Polished and heartfelt, 30 July  2002
Author: _neilanderson_ (http://poll.imdb.com/user/ur1868882/comments)  from
London, England
Top Gun is undoubtedly one of my favourite films, and one of those that has
the ability to keep enthralling you even while watching for the tenth time.
Director Tony Scott was chosen after the producers saw his work in advertising,
 and true to their judgement he has produced a visual masterpiece. It looks
simply gorgeous, and the live action sequences have never been bettered. If
there is one flaw in the film it is that it is somewhat shallow, with all of
the  people behind the film (and Tom Cruise) rather better at making visual
spectaculars than an engaging story. However the story does work well in drawing
you into the world of Maverick and his fellow naval aviators, Cruise forms an
 excellent rapport with Anthony Edwards as Goose, and the dialogue is snappy
and  eminently quotable. Everyone has at some stage used Maverick's line - "I
couls  tell you, but then I'd have to kill you", and the  cover of the
Righteous Brothers is unforgettable. The film is backed by one of  the best
soundtracks of the decade, and a very strong supporting cast. In my  opinion, the film
succeeds in everything it sets out to achieve. A cracking  script, a gripping
story, and simply stunning aerial photography. You have to  see this film.