"scurred"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 2 22:28:34 UTC 2006

Yes, I'm from Saint Louis. I was born in Marshall, Texas, but I lived
in Saint Louis from the age of about four or five till adulthood,
ca.1940 - ca.1962. And I agree that this strange, even to me,
pronunciation - the people who speak this way are, in general, young
enough to be my grandchildren - seems to have its epicenter in Saint
Louis.

I watch ComicView on BET. This show features Black-English speakers
from all over the United States and, so far, I've never heard "hurr,
thurr," etc. used by people not from  Saint Louis.

-Wilson

On 9/1/06, Mircea Sauciuc <msauciuc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Mircea Sauciuc <msauciuc at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: "scurred"
>
> ha! that's true. pragmatically, in romanian, it will not make sense if
> someone asks, "ce mai faci?" and you say "bine (fine/good)". so, yeah,
> tudor was right in saying that.
>
> nelly, too, right. i'm sure there are more than the two we had
> mentioned, but chingy was just the first one that came to mind.
>
> correct me if i'm wrong, but i *think* i remember reading about a year
> ago something about you being from the st. louis area. was it you or
> is it someone else on this list? wilson gray=st. louis sounds about
> right to me. i could be mistaken. if it is you, is this correct to say
> that that pronunciation of "there"--*thurr* and "hair"--*hurr* stems
> from that area? my assumption is yes only because coming from that
> area (i was only there for about three years or so) i heard that often
> and it was said by most of the local rappers who had made it big-time.
>
> On 9/1/06, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:

-Wilson
----