"Uglier than a hat full of ass"

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Sep 10 05:05:33 UTC 2006

>Well, not really. It's a whole lot of colored folks who use these.
>Well, probably not nearly as many as there used to be. My childhood
>friends have been dying off since 1986. The saying featuring Sammy
>Davis, Jr. is probably on  the way out as people who know what he
>looked like die off.
>
>-Wilson
>
>On 9/8/06, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote: ....

>Wilson, a Google search indicates with a rather high level of probability that
>>
>>   YOU ARE THE ONLY EARTHMAN TO USE THESE PHRASES

I've heard this "hatful of ass" (my spelling) from somebody other than
Wilson Gray. Can't remember who it was, though.

I've heard the less elaborate "looks like ass", "smells like ass", etc.,
more often. I suppose "ass" is equivalent to "shit" in these contexts.

I've never heard the Sammy Davis one AFAIK.

-- Doug Wilson