"no such thing as (a) free lunch" (1943)

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Sun Sep 10 20:38:09 UTC 2006

If I'm not mistaken, I think the earliest published to the ADS-L is 1949.

Using N'archive, from 2 Sept. 1943, _Long Beach Independent_ p.11 (A letter to the editor)

"Some people say there is no such thing as a free lunch, but you listen to a fireside chat, from Washington, and the voice will tell you all about it, and how you can make something for nothing."

Also, from 1946, is the phrase we all know and love, "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch."  This antedates the 1949 cite which is the former earliest known of which I'm aware.

7 Feb. 1946  _Atchison Daily Globe_  p.4

(this is the same story which is oft repeated and paraphrased in the 1946-50 period about a king/Shah/etc. who calls in a group of economists and asks them to explain in simple terms why he's going broke.  They produce a long treatise.  He kills half of them.  The remaining half comes back with a shorter version, but still too long.  He continues to kill them until one is left.  The guy comes back with tanstaafl.-ed.)

"Finally, it came down to one remaining economist.  The Shah asked him if he were prepared to make a short explanation.  He said he was.  The Shah told him to give it.  Here is what he said.
    'There ain't no such thing as (sic)free lunch."

Sam Clements