USC

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Sep 11 18:25:50 UTC 2006

>Ohio University, of course!  Funny--I used to be at the "University of
>Indiana," and now I'm at the "University of Ohio."    I can't win.
>
>Beverly Flanigan
>Ohio University-Athens

I should check all the Arnold's Language Logs but another puzzler to
me is how the University of Kansas ends up as "KU" (while the
University of Kentucky is, more predictably, UK--is it perhaps to
avoid this very problem?).  In all the other cases I'm aware of, "the
University of X" ends up initialized or acronymized as "UX" or "(the)
U. of X.", while "XU" is reserved for instances of "X [not
necessarily Xavier] University".

LH