"write," n. = "something intended to be read; a writing."

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Sep 22 19:27:10 UTC 2006

That would correspond to the noun "read" (OED, n.2), which has always struck me as pretentious.  At a social gathering a few years ago, I heard an ostentatiously well-read individual refer to each of three differents recent novels as "a compelling read."

--Charlie