"write," n. = "something intended to be read; a writing."

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Fri Sep 22 19:33:54 UTC 2006

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 03:27:10PM -0400, Charles Doyle wrote:

> That would correspond to the noun "read" (OED, n.2), which
> has always struck me as pretentious.  At a social gathering
> a few years ago, I heard an ostentatiously well-read
> individual refer to each of three differents recent novels
> as "a compelling read."

I have the exact opposite reaction--I find _read_ n. to
be colloquial, and if an ostentatious egghead referred to
a novel as a "good read", I'd assume that the book is
quite unpretentious and that the egghead is attempting to
be relaxed in his or her reading choices.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED