athletic shoes (and home furnishings)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Sep 23 18:44:28 UTC 2006

At 2:27 PM -0400 9/23/06, Alice Faber wrote:
>Laurence Horn wrote:
>

>>I was looking in those same New Haven Yellow Pages today (plus the
>>Yellow Book) in search of produce stands--not the little roadside
>>ones that I assumed wouldn't have a listing, but the more official
>>kind of farm markets that have an indoor component and take credit
>>cards.  I know they're listed in the White Pages, but I couldn't
>>remember the names (we usually grow our own tomatoes, so it's been
>>awhile, but we went fallow for the year and I had a craving for
>>actual local tomatoes--the supermarkets seem to be proud that the
>>ones they stock for $1.99/lb. are "Imported", and this in August and
>>September).  The Yellow Pages had no or virtually no listings for
>>Vegetables, Fruits, Produce, Farm Markets, Orchards or anything else
>>I could imagine.  I don't know if the problem is advertising costs or
>>lack of imagination.
>
>Connecticut Natural Foods Market in North Haven. It's on Rt 5, between
>exits 12 & 13 from I91.

Yes, that's where I ended up going--but not because I found it in the
phone book. I used to go there all the time when they were up the
road from here in Hamden Plaza, but now it's a 15 mile round trip.  I
like CNFM and occasionally do drop in, but it is something of a trek,
and I *know* there are farm markets in Hamden--somewhere.  I just
wish the Yellow Pages could help a bit.

>Lyman Orchards in Middlefield.

Yes, 20 miles from here.  Sigh.  It does bring back nice memories of
pumpkins, apple picking, and hayrides when our kids were young,
though.

OK, I guess we're getting a bit provincial here, but thanks...

LH