Tenny runners...

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Sun Sep 24 18:43:45 UTC 2006

No, I don't remember "elastics" or "elastic bands" for "rubber bands"--though I never knew my grandparents (or their Arkansan lexicons).

There was a hypothetical time, I suppose, when the word "rubber" was restricted to uses bespeaking its etymology--rubbing marks or smudges from paper--only later to be extended to other uses of the substance?  The OED's earliest instance of "rubber band" is a seemingly late 1895.  For the noun "elastic," 'elastic cord or string, usually woven with india-rubber,' the OED gives examples from 1847, 1863, and 1880--but none later (why??).

--Charlie