when "intercourse" got funny

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Thu Sep 28 14:18:59 UTC 2006

        So how did "occupy" get desexualized?  I can understand it with
a word like "jape," which ISTR fell out of use because of its sexual
connotations and, much later, was rediscovered in its earlier innocent
sense.  "Occupy" seems like a less likely case.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Jonathan Lighter
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 9:57 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: when "intercourse" got funny

The  allegations about "occupy" appear to be true.  The latest OED
revisions include relevant comments about "occupy" from both Shakespeare
and Jonson - most remarkable !

  Jonson complained that "many" had quit using the word "nature" because
of their own "obscene Apprehensions."

  JL
  ---------------------- Information from the mail header