when "intercourse" got funny

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 28 21:22:55 UTC 2006

A related question is why "conversation" did not get funny. Back in
the '50's, a colleague, using an old Funk & Wagnalls, proved to me
that, at one time, the primary meaning of "conversation" was "sexual
intercourse." According to the OED On Line, this meaning has now
fallen to no.3, used primarily in the legal phrase, "criminal
conversation."

-Wilson

On 9/28/06, Baker, John <JMB at stradley.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Baker, John" <JMB at STRADLEY.COM>
> Subject:      Re: when "intercourse" got funny
>
>         So how did "occupy" get desexualized?  I can understand it with
> a word like "jape," which ISTR fell out of use because of its sexual
> connotations and, much later, was rediscovered in its earlier innocent
> sense.  "Occupy" seems like a less likely case.
>
> John Baker

Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
-----
Whoever has lived long enough to find out what life is knows how deep
a debt of gratitude we owe to Adam, the first great benefactor of our
race. He brought death into the world.

--Sam Clemens