Hot like what?

Scot LaFaive spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 10 19:05:34 UTC 2007

I always found the lyrics "I'm hot 'cause I'm fly/You ain't 'cause you not"
rather simplistic and boring, but after reading this analysis of it, I now
see the genius wrapped in simplicity.

Scot LaFaive

>From: Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>Subject: Hot like what?
>Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 14:39:27 -0400

>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
>Subject:      Hot like what?
>
>A former student alerted me to this treatise on the semantics of what
>is apparently the #1 song in America, recorded by a denizen of my old
>'hood (Washington Heights):
>http://www.villagevoice.com/music/0711,harvilla,76021,22.html
>
>LH

Download Messenger. Join the i’m Initiative. Help make a difference today.