Overdriving

Doug Harris cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET
Thu Apr 12 02:30:59 UTC 2007

I can't even _imagine_ what might be meant by this, from
an Ithaca NY police report via the 04/10 Binghamton Press
& Sun Bulletin:
"Atkind, a 23-year-old Cornell University student
from the Boston area, is accused of beating a dog
on or about March 8 and pouring bleach on it,
leaving it with diminished eyesight for life.
HE IS CHARGED WITH overdriving, TORTURING AND
INJURING ANIMALS in violation of state [law]."
--
What in the world does "overdriving" mean in this
context?? My only thought is that he perhaps ran