Fwd [crosspost from LL]: Counter to Pirahan-immediacy thesis?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 19 19:59:13 UTC 2007

"[I]n arguing that the Piraha are intelligent, Everett notes ..."

Everett argues that the Piraha are intelligent?! Whoa! That's heavy!
In the words of Tommy Chong, "Far out, man!"

-Wilson

On 4/19/07, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Fwd [crosspost from LL]: Counter to Pirahan-immediacy thesis?
>

> >LINGUIST List: Vol-18-1184. Thu Apr 19 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.
> >
> >Subject: 18.1184, Disc: New:  Counter to Pirahan-immediacy thesis?
> >
> >Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 12:00:51
> >From: Ian Goddard < iamgoddard at yahoo.com >
> >Subject: New:  Counter to Pirahan-immediacy thesis?
> >

> >The recent issue of The New Yorker has a detailed and thought-provoking
> >article on Dan Everett's controversial thesis that the language of the
> >Piraha, a remote Amazonian tribe, does not use recursive embedding. [*]
> >Perhaps even more remarkable, Everett proposes that the Piraha do not
> >generalize and thus do not utilize abstract concepts. Instead they live in
> >the moment and thus speak only about immediate or specific observations.
> >However, could the following interpretation of a Pirahan statement reported
> >in the same article be a counterexample to such an immediacy thesis?
> >
> >As an example of the immediacy thesis, when a group of Piraha were shown a
> >King Kong movie, Everett made the observation about their comments:
> >''They're not generalizing about the character of giant apes. [...] They're
> >reacting only to the immediate action on the screen with direct assertions
> >about what they see.'' [page 137] However, any suggestion that such is a
> >universal trait of Pirahan speech seems contradicted by a proposition made
> >by a Pirahan at another time, which Everett translated as:
> >
> >      ''Monkeys go to the jungle.'' [page 133]
> >
> >The context of the utterance of that proposition was during a formal test
> >where the subject, a Pirahan, was to indicate in which direction an
> >animated monkey head floats on a computer screen, to the upper-left or
> >upper-right corner. Those two were the only options. But when asked in
> >which direction he anticipates the monkey head will float, the Pirahan did
> >not understand the question and answered instead: ''Monkeys go to the
> >jungle.'' [page 133] That case illustrated the difficulty of communicating
> >with the Piraha.
> >
> >But it seems clear from the described context that the Pirahan pointed to
> >referents beyond the given monkey immediately before him on the screen,
> >referring instead to the abstract set of monkeys and to a universal
> >behavior of set members. An important aspect of the context was that the
> >Pirahan's answer, 'Monkeys go to the jungle', lacked the ability to allow
> >the desired polar distinction to match a left or right distinction. Why?
> >Precisely because the statement references *all* monkeys by its implication
> >that no monkey should be found that does not go to jungle. As such, the
> >Pirahan's proposition could be further translated into first-order
> >predicate logic as:
> >
> >    Monkeys go to the jungle.
> >
> >    For all x, if x is a Monkey, then x goes to the Jungle.
> >
> >    Ax( Mx -> Jx )

> [...]

-----
                                                      -Sam'l Clemens

"Experience" is the ability to recognize a mistake when you make it again.