antedating?: "top dollar" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wed Apr 25 05:56:40 UTC 2007

> >[classified ad], _Marion [Ohio] Star_, 3/27/1916, p. 17 col 2.
>>"$ Top Dollar Paid $ Timber Wanted Good oak timber wanted at all times."
>
> But it's 1946 rather than 1916, right?

So it is -- my bad.  But let me atone:

"Nothing on Iron Concerns"  Nebraska | Lincoln | The Evening State Journal And Lincoln Daily News 8/30/1919 (and I double-checked the date on the page), p. 7 col 2.
"Bids were opened at the city hall Saturday on 1,000 feet of 12-inch cast iron pipe for the water and light department.  Birmingham,
Chicago and Kansas City bid exactly the same even to the pennies over the top dollar. "