MILF (was Re: change from the bottom up)

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Thu Apr 26 16:15:47 UTC 2007

        Any connection with the band Milf, which seems to have
flourished in the 1993 - 1995 period?

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Benjamin Zimmer
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2007 11:23 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: MILF (was Re: change from the bottom up)

On 4/26/07, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
> At 10:27 AM -0400 4/26/07, James Harbeck wrote:
> >Yesterday, incidentally, my wife asked me, while we were in
> >conversation with her mother, aunt and uncle, what MILF meant. I had
> >a giggling fit.
> >
> That's...um...a Mature Individual who Likes Flowers, no?

There's an examination of the "MILF" phenomenon in this week's New York
Magazine:
http://nymag.com/news/features/2007/sexandlove/30915/

They actually did some research too, at least on Google Groups: "The
earliest online reference is a 1995 Usenet post about a Playboy
pictorial of hot moms."

Presumably referring to this post from Jan. 12, 1995:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.mag.playboy/msg/ae98e3c554d34114

Any antedatings?

--Ben Zimmer