[hw-] v. [w]

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Aug 2 02:19:47 UTC 2007

At 5:19 PM -0400 8/1/07, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:
>On 8/1/07, Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at ohio.edu> wrote:
>>
>>  [David A. Daniel wrote:]
>>  >
>>  > [Scott LaFaive wrote:]
>>  >
>>  > >I don't have an [h] anywhere near my [w]'s (Wisconsin dialect),
>>so I don't
>>  > >even know what this sounds like. Any good sound files for this?
>>  >
>>  >Bob Dylan, Lay Lady Lay. He could blow out a candle with his "...stay with
>>  >your man a hhhhhhhwile"
>>
>>  As Peter Trudgill pointed out in a 1983 paper ("Acts of Conflicting
>>  Identity"), Dylan tried to use a Midland/Appalachian accent in his early
>>  songs, often with hypercorrection.  Hence "a while" was [e hwail] (or maybe
>>  even [e hwal]?)

Yes, it's pretty much [e hwal], except there's (impressionistically)
a bit of a central off-glide before the -l, both here and in the
rhyming line:

Stay lady stay
Stay with your man a while [e hwa(@)l]
Until the break of day
Let me see you make him smile [sma(@)l]

Interesting syntax too--not quite illeism, but close.  The "me" and
"him" in the last line are coreferential but differ in picking out
observer ("me") and participant ("him" = "your man") roles.  Either
that or there's a threesome involved that I never picked up on.

LH