episodic "never" (was Re: Final call for papers: ADS 2008 Chicago)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Aug 8 00:53:04 UTC 2007

>I recommend that you'uns check out the following book:
>
>South, Stanley. 1996. I never killed a man didn't need
>killing. Columbia, SC: Wine Cellar.
>
>This usage is right common in the South Midland in my
>experience, and they's quite a few cites in my
>Dictionary of Smoky Mountain English, including
>
>She never died then.
>
>You never seen a hillside plowed then, did you?
>
>Is this construction Elizabethan, Larry?
>
>Michael

The OED, under 2a, has this in the NEVER entry:

As a simple emphatic negative relating to a single event: not at all,
in no way. In later use chiefly with imperatives, and in colloq. use
expressing emphatic denial (freq. with the verb omitted).

with cites back to Old and Early Middle English, so it's been around
awhile.  The distinction drawn here between the colloquial emphatic
use ("Well, I never!" and such, also discussed by Jespersen) and the
non-emphatic episodic use which has pretty much disappeared from
standard use, even colloquially (except for imperatives?), is quite
useful.  Regionally, on both sides of the Atlantic, it appears to be
alive and more or less well.

LH