Subject Historical Dictionary

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Aug 8 23:26:18 UTC 2007

_http://www.nebraskapress.unl.edu/bookinfo/4907.html_
(http://www.nebraskapress.unl.edu/bookinfo/4907.html)

The Historical Dictionary of Golfing  Terms
>From 1500 to the Present
By Peter Davies
“Peter Davies has undertaken a monumental task and carried it off in fine
style. His dictionary will make a valuable addition to any serious golfer’s
library and should be one that never gathers dust.”—Arnold Palmer
“A fascinating look into the often arcane and sometimes amusing language of
our game. I’m sure golfers and golf fans will find it enlightening and
entertaining reading.”—Jack Nicklaus
“As golfers we all respect the traditions of the game which separate it from
any other sport. Peter Davies’s definitions help us all to understand the
evolution and facets of the game that we just take for granted today.”—Gary
Player
No game has a richer array of terms than golf. As new golfing terms have
accumulated, old ones have changed or faded away. This concise yet informative
dictionary provides definitions and the etymologies for the extraordinary
vocabulary of golf, built up over its five-hundred-year history. To discover the
origins of golf and its special language, Peter Davies combed little-known
archives on two continents. As his unique contribution to the game, Davies’s
enthusiasm and enjoyment of golf are stamped on every page of this authoritative
 book.
Peter Davies was the executive editor of the first edition of The American
Heritage Dictionary of the English Language and a coauthor of The  American
Heritage Word Frequency Book.