funny books (UNCLASSIFIED)

Fri Aug 10 17:56:09 UTC 2007

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Proquest Historical Newspapers has reference to "the funny papers" in
the 1890's, before comic books or Sunday comic sections as we now know
them.

"Bright Sayings of the Children" Chicago Daily Tribune; Jul 4, 1929; pg.
16
""Say Mister, haven't I seen you before?"  He said, "No, Gene Ann, I
don't believe you have."  She answered him saying, "O, yes, I have.  I
believe I saw you in the funny paper." "

"Tenderlion" by Arline de Haas (serial novel) _The Gettysburg Times_
8/15/1928 p. 6.
"Cautiously he free hand stole around behind his back and turned the
knob.  The door opened.  "See you in the funny papers."  The door
slammed, and Chuck had disappeared."

Divorces 'Funny Paper' Mate. New York Times; Mar 9, 1936; pg. 19
"Mrs. Phyllis D. Flanagan, bride of three months, told the court:  "He
left me right after the ceremony without the least word of explanation.
All he said was 'So long, darling, I'll see you in the funny papers.' "
"