P.E.P.? VIGOR?

Fri Aug 10 21:59:48 UTC 2007

In a message dated 8/10/07 5:03:36 PM, hwgray at GMAIL.COM writes:

> During The  War, there was a dry cereal named "Kellog's Pep."

I noted this in an earlier posting; I believe they were still selling it in
the 1950s.

Arnold notes that "Pep clubs" still exist on campuses--again, this seems
something of an archaic form, frozen in a compound that exists by tradition but is
not very much alive, in my opinion.

I'm not sure that I agree with Arnold that the use of "PEP" is going to
convince many Boomers to buy the product and associate it with 'vigor'--even though
I know what PEP means, I also associate it with old guys, and who wants a
product that seems aimed at people even older than I am?

I suppose one could test Arnold's hypothesis that VIGOR is looked askance by
spam filters, but it seems rather dubious to me. Of course, if a member of
ADS-L doesn't get this message because I have put VIGOR in the subject line,
there is no way for that member to report it.

 Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at