Want I should?

Scot LaFaive spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 13 14:26:38 UTC 2007

So it's considered Appalachian? Interesting.
Another interesting tid bit is that the only times I've ever heard it have
been on TV by various characters; I heard it on Medium the other day and I
recall someone on Leave It To Beaver saying it. Could it be both writers
were Appalachian? I would guess it is as localized as it might once have
been.
BTW, I see from the internets that a lot of people associate this with
Yiddish.

Scot

>From: Montgomery Michael <ullans at YAHOO.COM>
>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>Subject: Re: Want I should?
>Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 17:49:16 -0700

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Montgomery Michael <ullans at YAHOO.COM>
>Subject:      Re: Want I should?
>
>The excerpt below is from my _Dictionary of Smoky
>Mountain English_ (Univ. of Tennessee Press, 2004).  A
>Yiddish source is out of the question, but a German
>one is much more tantalizing.  Quite a few more people
>settled in southern Appalachia whose own language or
>ancestral language was German than is usually
>recognized.
>
>Michael
>
>want verb
>   1 with ellipsis of following that, with a dependent
>clause as object of the verb.
>   1928 Mathes (in 1952 Mathes Tall Tales 43) Child, I
>want ye should think about it all yer days!  1931
>Goodrich Mt Homespun 49 They want you should use the
>hickory on some of them rough boys.  ibid. 54 Maw
>wants you should go with her tomorrow to her aunts' in
>Tennessy.  1975 Chalmers Better 59 Pink's wife's been
>took bad, and Doc wants you should come and he'p him.
>

>--- Scot LaFaive <spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> > ---------------------- Information from the mail
> > header -----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society
> > <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Scot LaFaive
> > <spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM>
> > Subject:      Want I should?

> > I'm curious where or in what group "want I should"
> > is spoken and from, as in
> > "You want I should come over?" I found the link
> > below that says it's from
> > Yiddish. (BTW, is this "Ben" on the ads-list?)
> >

>http://positiveanymore.blogspot.com/2006/03/you-want-i-should-grow-beard.html
> >
> > Scot

> > Tease your brain--play Clink! Win cool prizes!
> >
>http://club.live.com/clink.aspx?icid=clink_hotmailtextlink2

> > The American Dialect Society -
> > http://www.americandialect.org

>Choose the right car based on your needs.  Check out Yahoo! Autos new Car
>Finder tool.
>http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/

Now you can see trouble…before he arrives
http://newlivehotmail.com/?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_viral_protection_0507