Heard on the Judges

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Tue Aug 21 12:47:52 UTC 2007

From:    Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>

> Case A: Male African-American Latino speaker from Buffalo:

> "And, from there, it _especulated_ into a confrontation."

> I assume that the speaker had what a German friend of mine used to
> call "a schwer English wort" handy and that, unconcerned with meaning,
> he just tossed it into his testimony in an effort to impress the judge
> with his erudition.

I am reminded of Oswald Bates (from the In Living Color series).

"I believe it was Plato...No, excuse me, I mean Play-Doh...who stuck to
the wall when he said one must not put one's transvestite in jeopardy if
one is to become a cunning linguist..."

<snip>

--
David Bowie                               University of Central Florida