Boys Town or Boy's Town or Boys' Town (Mexican brothels near Texas border)

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Thu Aug 30 14:27:38 UTC 2007

At 12:17 PM 8/29/2007, you wrote:
>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: Boys Town or Boy's Town or Boys' Town (Mexican brothels near
>               Texas border)
>
>On Aug 28, 2007, at 10:16 AM, Barry Popik wrote:
>
> > Anyone remember a "boys town"? Not in OED?
> > HDAS has "boys town" and it's "_Navy_, the junior officers'
> > quarters on
> > shipboard"? How do you speak to the editor of HDAS and invite him
> > to Texas?
> >
> > http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/
> > boys_town_or_boys_town_zona_de_tolerancia_zona_roja_zona_rosa/...
>
>then there's the gay usage, easily trackable on the web: the Boystown
>neighborhood of Chicago and the gay village area of L.A., in particular.
>
>arnold

I don't recall where "Brokeback Mountain" was set, but the jilted lover
(can't remember which one he was) went across the border to a "boys' town"
of some sort, though it may not have been named.