Boys Town or Boy's Town or Boys' Town (Mexican brothels near Texas border)

Thu Aug 30 15:03:20 UTC 2007

On Aug 30, 2007, at 7:27 AM, Beverly Flanigan wrote:

> I don't recall where "Brokeback Mountain" was set,

the early scenes were in wyoming.  later, ennis lives in wyoming,
jack in texas.

> but the jilted lover
> (can't remember which one he was)

Jack Twist

> went across the border to a "boys' town"
> of some sort, though it may not have been named.

identified as Juarez in the screenplay, and on a road sign in the
movie.  the town in the movie has a district in which sex of several
kinds is offered for sale.  from the screenplay:

   JACK makes his way through the crowded streets, entering the
seedier part of town.  HOOKERS [female] stand in doorways enticing
passersby.  The sidewalks are crowded with VENDORS.  People yelling,
Mexican polka music.

   JACK turns down an alley.  MEN line walls on each side.  Direct
looks.

jack then hooks up with a young mexican man.

so jack went to a sex district, then to a [male] hustler area within
that district.  in my experience, hustler locales and gay cruising
areas are not usually referred to as "boys' towns" -- probably
because they're not very big.

arnold